Thursday, February 11, 2010

Look and Sounds of the Heart

I went to the Makati Medical Center to get my 2-D Doppler Echo and Electrocardiogram tests. I've been having shortness of breath, chest pains, and palpitations since last week and have seen a cardiologist who recommended I take these exams.

Last night I talked to my cardiologist-cousin who explained to me the exams. He gave me a couple of medicines for acid reflux, but I decided not to get it first until I get the results from the 2 exams. He said it might be Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Google-d it but I still wasn't enlightened.

But back to the exams, I've undergone ECG exams before because of our yearly medical exam in my previous company. So I know how the procedure goes. But it was my first time to undergo the 2-D Doppler Echo. My cousin said it was to check for Mitral Valve Prolapse, whatever that is. All I know my friends, Mariko and Ms. Rina, have that, but I haven't seen anything wrong with them. Except for a few complaints of tachycardia (that's medical linggo for really fast heartbeat or palpitations).

Anyway, I got there and was asked to take off my top and lie on the bed sidewards. The nurse then told me the 2-D Doppler Echo is actually an ultrasound of my heart. Cool! She pressed this thingamajiggy on my chest and sometimes had to press down hard to get a clear image of my heart on the screen. It was a bit painful, but it was bearable. :)

So this is an example of what I saw on the screen. That's not my heart, it's just some random Google image. Maybe i'll post the actual picture of my heart on the screen when I get my results. But it was really cool to see my heart beating. Although I really couldn't make out the shape of my heart, as seen in encyclopedias. But it was beating, and it was really cool to see it!



But what got me surprised where the sounds that followed afterwards. I had to be quiet so I couldn't ask the nurse if that was the sound of a normal heartbeat. I heard like several variations of my heartbeat, and it was weird. It actually scared me. I couldn't even describe to you the sounds I heard. I listened to it as I lay on my side in the dark, hoping those sounds registered normal.

Results to come in 2-3 working days. I hope nothing bad register on the results. Although I am still comforted by the idea that the cardiologist told me that whatever it was I was experiencing, wouldn't lead to my death! Thank God! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails