Friday, January 29, 2010

Aussie Open '10

I feel sad that the Australian Open's about to end. I love tennis. It's one sport I'd really love to excel in. Unfortunately due to a busted knee and an unfit body (heart and lungs included), I just can't play the game anymore. Hopefully my jogging would help me get back a good enough form to handle the physical game that is tennis.

Anyway back to the Australian Open. I was very happy for Li Na and Jie Zheng to have reached the semi-finals. Unfortunately the better tennis players (Serena Williams and Justine Henin) seized their slot for their 1st ever final appearance.

Li Na was a revelation to me. I've seen her play. But her game in this year's AO is her best ever! I gotta commend this girl. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her this year. Can't wait to see her at the French Open, Wimbledon, and US Open.

On the other hand, for me, Jie Zheng can be inconsistent. Her game at the AO was a breakthrough. But I'm hoping she can maintain this kind of form for the entire ATP tournaments this year. I remember her best when she played doubles with a fellow Chinese...I'm still waiting for that day Jie Zheng would make her mark on me as a singles player. Although I'd have to admit...SHE WAS GOOD! :) ALL HAIL CHINA! :p

But we've come down to the Finals. And it's comeback queen Justine Henin and World No. 1 Serena Williams. If the AO has Alan Trengove's fearless forecast, here's Mai Dumana's own version of Fearless Forecast: Justine Henin in 3 sets.



VERSUS




No one can deny Henin's AWESOME form this year! Had I not known that she retired, I'd really think she had never left the ATP. Her stamina was tested against Nadia Petrova...it was just a superb game. I was about to think the Petrova was gonna e Henin's downfall. But seeing her come out of that ordeal VICTORIOUS, I wouldn't have any doubts that she can equal or even surpass the ever-powerful Serena Williams. Everybody seems to think Serena should be in the Men's Division.

But my money is on Justine. Maybe I'm biased because I'm not a big fan of Serena. But Henin's performance is enough to persuade me that she'll be kissing the plaque over the weekend.

If not...well then...maybe next tournament? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails